It is that time of year again. Spring is in the air, the flowers are starting to bloom, the birds are chirping and the sounds of barbells slamming in the back parking lot are starting to ring in our ears. It is almost Hero WOD Marathon time!
This year we will be completing the 6th Annual Hero WOD Marathon. For those of you that are new to the gym and don’t know what this special event means to CrossFit City of Lakes, let me tell you a little background about this upcoming spring tradition at COL.
Since most CrossFitters can remember every Memorial Day since the beginning of their CrossFit lives we all remember honoring one of our fallen soldier’s Michael P Murphy. We have always done this by completing the Hero WOD “Murph”on Memorial Day. If you have yet to experience a Hero WOD here at COL, Hero WOD’s are workouts that honor a fallen service man or women that also participated in CrossFit. “Murph” is probably one of the most recognized Hero WOD’s because of it’s difficulty. “Murph” is a grueling WOD that consists of 2 miles of running, 100 pull ups, 200 push ups and 300 squats while wearing a 20lb vest.
“Murph" is an amazing workout that honors one of our fallen soldiers. There is one problem with completing “Murph” on Memorial Day. After speaking with some of our COL members that have served our country in the military we have brought up the question, “why do we only honor one fallen hero, why don’t we honor as many as we can.” Check out this video from Olver
This year will be the fifth time in six years we will do just that. Honor as many of our fallen Heroes as we can. Here is how the Memorial Day Hero WOD Marathon works.
- This year’s Hero WOD Marathon will be Sat June 3rd.
- This year as we did last year, teams will have two options to participate in the 90 Min Hero WOD Half Marathon or the 3 Hr Hero WOD Marathon
- 90 Min Hero WOD (8-9:30am or 9:45-11:15am)
- 3 Hr Hero WOD (8-9:30am with a 15 min half time and then 9:45-11:15am)
- Teams will be made up of 4 athletes. The Team can be any combination of men and or women. Each Team will work together to complete as many Hero WODS as possible in the 90 Min or 3 Hour window.)
- Teams can split up these workouts however they want, but only one athlete can work at a time.
- Each Hero WOD can only be completed one time. No duplicating WODs.
- Each Hero WOD will be on a giant table in front of class, when a team starts a WOD their team captain will remove the WOD from the board and take the card with the WOD description on it over to their team where the team will complete the WOD. Upon completion of the WOD, the card will then be returned to the completed WOD Table.
- The Hero WOD must be completed in its entirety before moving on to the next workout.
- Workouts can be scaled if needed.
- There are 200+ Official CrossFit Hero Wods registered by CrossFit HQ.
- Our goal as a gym will be to try and complete and honor as many Hero’s as possible. This year our goal is to complete 175 Hero WOD’s.
- Each Athlete will register in the COL Lobby.
- The registration Fee for the 2022 Hero WOD Marathon is $25 per athlete or $100 per team.
- All registration Fees will go to raise money for our local chapter of “Disabled Veterans of America”. Our goal this year is to raise a minimum of $2,500 to donate to the DAV.
- Upon Completion of this years Hero WOD Marathon as always we will have our COL Potluck and also will be grilling hot dogs and hamburgers. Cold adult refreshments will be in supply and we will hang out for as long as everyone wants to stay after completion of the workout.
Learn More About the COL Hero WOD Marathon